Friday, October 14, 2005

Sorry, no photos yet

Well, the title pretty much covers it all. I tried to scan in an image the other day only to have the black turn gray. At first I thought it was something on the scanner plate, but it happened again after I cleaned it. SO, I took a real close look at the print itself and, when I held it at an angle, saw all these tiny little ridges of dark and light.

I took the picture in and showed Colleen. She said it was probably the dryer we use in the lab. The rollers may not be entirely smooth and are leaving the marks. She suggested re-washed the print, sqeegeing it, and then hang drying it. Um, seems like an awful lot to do for a scannable print.

Anyway, I rescanned the image and used one of the photo editing softwares out there and was able to make the blacks black again. Still, the actual print is better than the scanned image, but here it is:

Butthead

Well, like I said, not he best. The image is now too dark. The cat is 18% grey, for those in the know, but the image doesn't portray that correctly. C'est la vie!

Even though I'm working on project 2 right now and 3 is not due for a few weeks, tomorrow is my big photoshoot day. I get to drive over most of SE Ohio, visiting places that I used to haunt before I moved to Columbus. I'll be taking 8 rolls of film, but hopefully will only use about 4. These rolls have to last to the end of the quarter. Buying the paper is already breaking my bank. I've gone thru about 130 sheets and, at $54 for a pack of 100, I'll be broke before the quarter is out.

Well, must run. I've got beaucoup errands to run today, then it's pizza and wine with one of my fag hags. She's going to update my on her gay boyfriend's "roommate". Evidentally he was very talkative the other day and she got a lot of dirt to retell. Of course, he lives in the same apartment complex as me, so I see them occasionally as I'm leaving.

Ooops, I was leaving. Ciao tutti!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lewis said...

Web images never exactly match a good print. First, for color images, the color gamut is usually different. Second, the screen resolution is much less than that of a good print. Third, most screens haven't been calibrated to reproduce accurate colors or grey tones, even if they are capable of doing so. And finally, the light projected by a screen will never look exactly like the reflected light of prints (and prints, of course, look different in different light). So I just try to judge each image in the context of its medium and viewing conditions.

That said, I like how the DOF draws the viewer's gaze to the cat's eyes, and the highlights are great! It looks as though you are using natural light from a window (is that the window and your head in the highlights?). I would have tried to get both eyes fully in the composition, but that might spoil the effect of the cat poking his head into the frame. My wife and I tried to get a similar effect with this photo, but we missed the shot, which was supposed to include a semi-blurred image of the snake's tongue, which it was flicking in and out.

Good luck on your shoot. I will be photographing tomorrow in Highland County, near Bainbridge, but I am worried about filling up a 1GB compact flash card, not using rolls of film.

14 October, 2005 12:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home