Monday, October 24, 2005

Essay 2: What Makes A Good Blog

Tutti-

After reading blogs for the past few weeks, I have found that they fall into three categories: 1) So boring that I don't get through the first paragraph, 2) So entertaining that I'm an avid reader, and 3) Everyone Else. By Everyone Else, I mean that they are normal blogs, neither boring nor exciting.

But what makes a blog entertaining? What makes me keep coming back, over and over again, to read the posts of any one blogger? Most importantly, what makes the blog "good"? To investigate this phenomenon, we'll look at three separate blogs and determine what is good or bad about each one. Hopefully, together, we'll find out something useful.

Since it would be of extremely poor taste to critique my own blog, we'll go to the next best thing: Chad Fox.

What makes Chad Fox's blog so appealing to me? Because he, in some aspects, is very similar to me in his outlook on blogging. His writing style is very easy to read, it flows well from one paragraph to another. The tales that he relates are amusing and fun to read. This guy is an absolute blast.

The tales of his "utterly surreal San Francisco existence" are certainly surreal. I almost believe that he is making them up; but, on occasion, some of his escapades are alluded by other people in San Francisco. Sure, this could be one elaborate conspiracy, but I tend to doubt that. Take, for instance, his latest blog (as of 10/24/2005). The whole story is elaborate, funny, and, my GOD, why don't I live in San Francisco and hang out with such cool people. However, the story he talks about is supported by his friend Cement Brunette, and alluded to by Daigle.

The point is, his blog contains stories that are believable because of the way he tells them. Perhaps he is just making them up, but that is just the mark of a good, need I say excellent, story teller. He makes the stories believable, he makes you feel like you were there. He certainly makes me wish I was there.

Chad Fox has what I can only call an excellent blog. He manages to touch my sense of humor, my sense of the perverse, and my compassion. Because of all this, I will say that Chad's blog may be the exception to the rule. Next time we'll look at another blog and determine what is good, or not so good, about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home